Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

2010 SeaDoo GTI SE 130 Ran great last year. First ride out

Customer Question

2010 SeaDoo GTI SE 130
Ran great last year. First ride out this year engine revs fine but noticably decreased thrust. If it were a car it would be like a slipping clutch... Engine starts and idles fine. Could this be cavitation from a worn impeller wear ring? If so can they go out this quick?
Thanks...
D
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.

Hi this is Kenny, who am I speaking to ?

It can be a few things, what stand out is definitely a impeller/pump issue that has been compromised (rock damage) if the ski is on the trailer you need to crawl up under it with a flashlight and then look up into the pump tunnel towards the rear of the ski, at that point you should be able to get a good birds eye view of the leading edges of the impeller, you'll know at that point of the leading edges are damaged, then follow it out to the outside diameter of the impeller and that will be your wear ring. What happens so often is a rock or debris will get wedged between the outside diameter of the prop and the liner and dig a deep groove in the liner, then that needs to be replaced.

Impellors from BRP are around $300 and wear rings are about $70, you also have the option of getting your damaged prop repaired, a company in Calimesa Ca, Scat-Trak Performance, they do an excellent job on getting your prop reconditioned and it will come back with a little more performance, I've had them do hundreds for me and most likely they are the manufacture of the prop that came in your ski from Seadoo, if you go with them you can knock off about a $100 rather then the $300 you'll pay for a new one, I don't recommend Solas Impellers.

This is a good place to start and is usually the case, let me know of you have any further questions

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There was a chunk of wood lodged in the leading edge of one of the impeller blades....I'll try it this weekend but I bet that was it...I'd like to send you a picture of the impeller / intake and see what you think....
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.

Awesome, Great job, I'm sure that will make it much better, keep your fingers crossed that no damage occurred, like I said earlier, debris, rocks...etc gets caught between the liner and the prop where it can not cause damage to the prop but the wear ring (liner)

You'll know right away if the performance drops off from what it use to be, and that's a Great idea, send me some pictures if you can !!

Enjoy your weekend, Be Safe !

Thanks

Kenny