Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

My Nissan 8hp 4 stroke outboard starts on the 1st or second

Customer Question

my Nissan 8hp 4 stroke outboard starts on the 1st or second pull. after you run it for 20 minutes and shut it off to fish when you try and start it again it will not start! I have replaced the plugs made no difference. checked the fuel bulb and it is hard. slowed the motor down for a minute before shuting it off none of these things solved the problem.
Whats wrong with it
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
use email not a text message
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

When you get the engine warn and the issue starts, test for spark on the plug wires using a timing light. Make sure that the flashes are uniform. If that is good, make sure that the fuel filter is clean, and check the fuel in the carb bowl. When draining the bowl, have a small container under the drain screw to catch the fuel. Look to ensure that you do not have any water in that fuel. Also make sue that there is not debris in it. If you see either, you will need to clean the carb.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I use only 89 octane non ethenal gas. I drained the carb and it worked for a couple of trips last week than started not to start when warmed up. I am going to be away for several days and when I get back I will catch the carb fuel and see if it has water in it or dirt.. Don't have a timing light. Please email the response my cell phone doesn't work well.***@******.***
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

There are no time limits here. Take your time. I do not control where my replies go to. It is what ever email you used when you signed up for the site. If you would like to switch to voice when you get back, please accept the offer that I have included with this reply and I can then call you.