Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2015 mercury 150 4 stroke. While connecting a 2

Customer Question

I have a 2015 mercury 150 4 stroke. While connecting a 2 battery setup with perko switch, the negative accessory while coming from the perko switch made contact with the positive post on battery causing white smoke to come from engine cowl. Everything seems to work fine, but the engine warning horn does not beep when key is turned to the on position. Any clues what I might have screwed up?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you. Was the accessory wire for the boat that hit the positive post?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The wire has a relay connected to it
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Like these?http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/circuit-breakers
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, two,small black wires and a green wire with a red relay or fuse
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Do you have a Talon anchor?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, it's a Bennington pontoon if that helps
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Ok, the green wire is throwing me there. Have you removed the engine hood and inspected the fuses yet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
all seem fine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm afraid I might have shorted out something with the guardian system, but would the engine not run if that system was at fault?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Great, there are several small grounding wires between the trim unit and the mid housing. Then there should be one on the driveshaft hosing as well. Are these still intact?Have you looked under the dash yet for anything?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All is intact, have not looked under dash
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Ok, that is where the warning horn will be located. Was the engine on when you had this happen?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, engine was off. I was connecting batteries after taking the boat out of storage
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Ok, you are going to need to get into the helm and look at the wiring. There will be several different plugs under there and you would be mainly looking at the black wires. The two wires for the warning horn are a purple and a tan with a blue stripe.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
your welcome. Did you locate something?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will have to,wait until tomorrow when it's light outside
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
That is fine, there are no time limits here. I will come online about noon CST. I have an appt in the morn, and I will be here all day long.