Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

The left side of my 1996 150 hp ocean pro spark plugs won't

Customer Question

The left side of my 1996 150 hp ocean pro spark plugs won't spark
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The engine fires up fine and runs but won't go over 3000rpms only the right side spark plugs are firing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** shift switch does the spark return? This switch is down on the shift linkage. Just unplug the switch. Do you have spark now?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know where that is
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I found it
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
76 in this diagram is the shift switch. Bottom left side of page.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Won't fire at all now
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
That switch will not kill all the spark. It only affects 3 cylinders. If you have no spark at all then you have another issue.How are you checking for spark?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Now it won't start. When it was running before I pulled that switch I disconnected a spark plug at a time and it had no affect
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
That switch did not cause your issue it will only affect 3 cylinders.Is the kill lanyard attached at the helm?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you give me suggestions to why the left 6 cylinders wouldn't you be firing please
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Ok we need to disconnect the black/yellow wire at the power pack # ***** You will need to pull the cover # ***** of the power pack and disconnect the top plug on the port side of the power pack. There is only 3 cylinders on the left side. But no spark on all cylinders can be many different things. Any one of these components can be bad, Power pack, stator, optical sensor or rectifier/regulator. This is going to take some time to figure out the problem. The disconnecting of the black/yellow is the first step.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
why did i disconnect that switch I ended up breaking it , ur wasting my time man this whole things a f**king joke
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
I didn't tell you to force anything .I said unplg that switch. This is the shift interupt switch if it shorts out it kills spark to 3 cylinders. What you did din't cause the loss of spark to all cylinders. I can fix this motor if you want to but if you think this is a waste of time. Ypou can take it to a dealer and they will charge you 100 dollars and hour even if they don't fix it. Good luck I guess you don't want my help.By
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I want my money back for this bs service