Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I just wired our boat trailer and drilled the ground hole to

Customer Question

I just wired our boat trailer and drilled the ground hole to make sure I have bare metal. Lights work but both lights blink when I use right or left turn signal.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I got a Oprtonics trailer light kit. I am wiring just the two lights, no side lights. It is the TL11RK kit. I notice that when I put on the emergency flashers on my truck no lights turn on the trailer. Lights and brakes work. Turn signals either way will flash both lights. The lights come with bolts and I drilled all the holes out on the trailer because they are suppose ground the trailer as I understand it. I have a white wire ground at the hitch of the boat trailer, which I also ground to bare metal and put a new screw in it.
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: I have never wired anything except a horse and cow fence . So I have a limited IQ.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** lights do weird things the ground is the issue. Do you have a good ground from the vehicle to the trailer? Are the lights grounded to the trailer frame?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
with a white wire. I drill that hole too and put a new screw to attach the white wire.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
How about ground from the vehicle is there a ground in the harness.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is a white wire in the harness. Now get this; I had my son step on the brake of the truck and turn each signal light on and they work individually doing that. As soon as the brakes are not applied. Both lights blink. ????????? No I do not want to phone you. It get too costly.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I put a white wire on the frame of the truck to the boat trailer ground??
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
that's what I was going to suggest as a test.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well, putting a white wire to the truck frame and boat trailer, didn't work. I give up. I had enough. I will take it to someone.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for trying to help me.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Try this with the truck disconnected from the trailer put you test light in the green wire socket turn the turn signal on the test light should blink. If it blinks move the test light to the yellow socket the light should no blink. If the test comes out correct it should blink in the green socket and not the yellow. The truck isn't the problem the trailer is the problem. The only way both light will blink on left or right turn signal is if the yellow and green wires are shorted together or the ground is poor. Make sure you wires are all good from plug to light.