Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Hooked ears up to motor to check it out on land there is no

Customer Question

hooked ears up to motor to check it out on land there is no indication water is going through motor, not coming out of exhaust or pee hole. we replaced water pump may of last year. It was doing fine when we put it up for the winter. I also cleaned the pee hole out with no results. any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get make, model and serial number please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2009 mercury 115 hp 4stroke I don't have serial # *****
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

The engine not pumping any water will be water pump failure. The maintenance on the water pump is once a season or every 100 hours of use or which ever comes first.

I would start with the water pump first. Before you put the lower unit back on connect a garden hose to the water tube and start engine. Do you have water flow?

Is the over heat alarm sounding?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Problem solved, water would not come out of pee hole when we had it hooked to the ears on the water hose. We put it in the water it started working properly.
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Ok great glad it was something that simple. With good water pressure at the flush the engine should pump water at the tell tale.

If the alarm was sounding this is the indicator whether you have an over heat issue or not.

Thank you.......Tan