Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Yamaha 1995 40HP outboard, Mod C40PLRT, Ser# *****

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha 1995 40HP outboard, Mod C40PLRT, Ser# ***** L 335202. I purchased a new elec starter mod. 689 818 00 13 00. According to Yamaha that is the correct. The gear on the starter barely makes contact with the Flywheel. Cant start boat. Ordered a second new starter.... same problem. The gear on top off starter is 1.30" across. Looks like it needs to be 1/4 or so bigger. another Yamaha boat dealer in Ohio is holding another starter for me till tomorrow. But the gear on his starter is also 1.30" across. The fellow who is working on my boat is a Marine Mechanic We have no clue what the problem is
Larry Hoskins(###) ###-####
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.to get the most out of my service on your question, I really need to see what you and your mech see as far as the starter and the flywheel. Could you please post a few pics of them here on the site? the link explains how to do so. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0