Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a year 2000, 27ft Baja boat, 454 engine that has a

Customer Question

i have a year 2000, 27ft Baja boat, 454 engine that has a problem starting. it seems to take repeated tries to get it to crack over. wondering if gas vapor sensor could cause this problem . happens on cold starts with engine lid open and blower going.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Who makes the engine? Is it a Mercruser, Volvo, or something else? Can I get the model or serial number on it so I know exactly what you have.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
this is Greg, Baja boat mercruiser , 454 engine year 2000. dont know serial number but model is 272 grand prix
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Hi Greg

Is the engine Carbureted, EFI/Throttle body, or MPI?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
EFI I think,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
xintex M-1 gasoline fume detector,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
r u still there
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

I'm here, sorry . We offer phone service as well and I was on the phone with another customer.

The fume detector will have nothing to do with the engine.

Has this engine ever been any different for you in the past? How long have you owned it? When was the last time it started correctly?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
oh it starts correctly after repeated attemps, just unreliable..could it be the ignition switch itself, i put new batteries in boat so they are not the problem, I turn the key to start and only hear the warning tone from gas vapor sensor.then after a number of tries it will start normally
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've had the boat 3 years it only has 360 hours on engine, last year the problem started.
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

When was the last time the engine had a full tune up? That would be new cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, all filter?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
about 2 years ago , once the engine starts in runs fine,,,but there is no cranking of the engine...like battery has poor connection
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Okay. I guess my next question is what are your questions to me? I don't know exactly what you have for an engine, and that would be helpful to know. How is it I can help you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i guess you need to tell me where to look for possible disconnect between battery, ignition switch and engine....I know transmission has to be in neutral to start so i can check that but if we aren't getting power to starter will that just let the sensor tone occur with no other engine noise?
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

I think I am misunderstanding you. When you say ". it seems to take repeated tries to get it to crack over"

When you turn the key to start, is it cranking over but not starting? Or is it not cranking over at all, as In totally dead?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is not cranking at all, no sounds except warning tone from sensor I assume
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Okay that is a different story. Have you tried holding the key to start while wiggling the shifter handle with your other hand at the same time?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did try that , didn't make a difference, but i know its some bad connection like that. when i turn key to on all gauges respond normally.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
could it be the starter itself?
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Do you hear any clicking from the engine when you turn the key to start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no, no noise at all
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks for the help,,,,,ill need to take to mechanic before it goes back in water this year
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

The flow of power for the start circuit on this engine starts at the battery, runs through a main fuse mounted to the starter, then up to the breaker, then up the harness to the key switch, from there it leaves the key switch and runs down to the neutral switch inside of the shifter, and then back down to the engine where it activates the slave solenoid, which in turn provides power to the starter solenoid.

If you turn the key to run, and the gauges power up, there is power to the keyswitch........

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

So the problem lays between the key switch and the slave solenoid. What we do in the shop is check voltage on of the yellow/red wire that comes out of the key switch when the switch is held to start. If there is no power, the key switch is bad. If there is power, we move down to the slave solenoid and check for power there. If there is no power, the neutral safety switch inside if the shifter is bad, and not allowing power to make it from the key switch to the slave solenoid. If there is power at the slave solenoid, and if the engine is not starting, the slave solenoid is bad.

Does that all make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me.

Thanks again,

Jason