Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I just replaced the water pump in my alpha one and when

Customer Question

I just replaced the water pump in my alpha one and when putting oil back in, I have oil coming from the weep hole opposite the drain plug.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** the shift cavity drain where the shift rod goes down into the lower part of the drive. This hole in this pis circled in red?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that is where the oil is coming out
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.
Ok the lower unit has to come back off to check the shift rod cover # ***** I have seen these where the seal # ***** pops out. If the seal is popped out replace the complete cover # ***** The hole the opil is coming out of is a water drain so water doesn't stand in the cavity around the shift cover. When oil runs out that hole the shift rod cover is the issue either the cover or the o-rings. Post back with you need further assistance. Thank you......Tan
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.
Please don't forget to positively rate my service as that is the only way I get credit for helping you. Follow questions are always welcome at no extra charge on this subject even after you have rated. Thank you.......Tan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tan that is different than mine. Mine could be a 1990 model.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.
How about this one. Replace # ***** It's much easier than replacing just the seal. Sometimes replacing just the seal doesn't always work.