Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 60 hp johnson 1993....runs like a top .i run min

Customer Question

i have a 60 hp johnson 1993....runs like a top .i run for 20 min and shut it down for 5 min ... will not start at all. Not even puff of smoke ... checked to see if i had spark .. and i due ... could this still be a a power pack issue ? hour later runs like a champ again
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: good compression .. new reed valves ...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** you have spark then you have a fuel related issue. Run the engine on another fuel tank. Does it run without shutting down? What can happen is you have debris in the fuel tank you go run the boat the fuel pump creates a vacuum on the fuel line pulling fuel to the engine. This vacuum pulls the debris inside the tank towards the pick up tube which has a screen filter on the end of the tube. The vacuum eventually pulls enough debris to the screen that it clogs causing the engine to starve for fuel and quit. Then when it sits the debris falls off the screen and the process repeats. So try the other fuel source and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it will stay running until i shut off .. no loss of power either ..
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
How are you checking spark?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
pulled 1 plug off and checked for spark it possible to get spark if power pack is on its way out ?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
If pack is failing then you will not have any spark.Are you checking spark when the engine won't restart?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Ok we need to check the quality of the spark. Do you have a spark gap tester? If the spark is weak the engine won't start. This could be a weak stator that when it gets hot you are loosing voltage to the power pack causing weak spark.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok i will try that ...thank you for your help
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
The spark needs to jump a 7/16" gap on the tester on all cylinders. If it doesn't we need to test the voltage output of the stator. This requires a peak reading volt meter or a DVA adapter for your multi meter. We can try an ohm test but this isn't very accurate and since you do have spark we need to verify output voltage from the stator. Dva adapters are available fairly cheap.Here is a link to the DVA adapter. Post back with findings and questions.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Please don't forget to positively rate my service as that is the only way I get credit for helping you. Follow up questions are always welcome at no extra charge on this subject even after rating. Thank you..........Tan