Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2005 merc 50 hp 4 stroke efi that has been sitting

Customer Question

I have a 2005 merc 50 hp 4 stroke efi that has been sitting for about 3 years and I've tried to get it started and can not get it to fire up and run. It will run for about 3-5 secs and die. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi Bob, my name is***** old is the fuel that you are trying to burn? Will it run longer or better on starting fluid?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The fuel in the tank is fresh. I pumped it through the lines. I don't know how you would use start fluid it doesn't have a carb.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
You would spray it into the throttle body. Are you near the engine now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I'm not near it. Is the throttle body the part the fuel line goes to and has a what looks like a valve stem like on a tire?
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
No the throttle body is in the front of the intake manifold. Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, if you can get me that number I can get you a picture of the throttle body
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1B184871
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1B184871 serial #