Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Getting 4 beeps alarm on 2007 Mercury 115/ four stroke/fuel

Customer Question

Getting 4 beeps alarm on 2007 Mercury 115/ four stroke/fuel injected. Comes on shortly after starting and than periodically. 4 beeps are hard to hear when going 20-25 miles an hour so not loud?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.Would you please post the serial number of the engine, so that I can pull the correct one up?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1B494120
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. Other than the alarm, is the engine running ok and still making full throttle?Do you know the service history on the engine?Do you happen to have SmartCraft gauges in the boat?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Engine is runny fine. I am on 4 yr of ownership and take it in to be winterized and oil changed in spring buy dealer.. Did my oil for first time 2 weeks ago. Guy before bought boat in 2009 new and said he always took boat in also and sold it to me since he was not using it enough. No smart craft gauges.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
Alright, lets see if we can figure out this alarm. Beeping is for a sensor out of range, not oil pressure or temp. They are both solid tones. Is there a primer bulb in the fuel line?Did you happen to disconnect a sensor while going the oil change. You may need to remove the engine hood and look at all the sensor connectors to make sure that one did not become dislodged when you reinstalled the hood.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No prime bulb on fuel line. The alarm went on my 4th day on the water in 2 weeks so don't think it was from taking cover off from oil change but will go check?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could not find anything loose or disconnected when I took motor cover off?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did blow a 5 amp fuse on my live well the night before the alarm? Just trying to give you anything that might help?
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
Was the pump fuse due to the pump failing or something else?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not sure what caused it to blow. Well was full of debris from fish such as minnows and stringers so I tried turning well on to pump out some of junk the morning before I went out and it was dead. Worked the night before. Than started boat that morning and got the alarm going out.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
Ok, do you happen to have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. I do not?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My concern was that I am suppose to go fishing this Friday but can't get in to service till June 15th. Do you think I am ok using boat for 1 day till then?
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
That really depends on the cause of the alarm. Does the boat have a volt meter? With a bit of testing, we may be able to figure this out before you ever have that appt. Does the battery happen to die on you when you are out?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No! Battery is brand new. 1st time I took the boat out starting battery was dead. 7 yrs old so bought new one. No volt meter on the boat. Live well ran the rest of the day after I replaced fuse with no issues. I did totally drain it,
to get all the junk out since I though it may have gotten plugged and caused fuse to blow.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
Ok, I was thinking about maybe a voltage issue on the engine. Does the engine ever shake briefly at high speed, slow momentarily and then pick back up?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. Ran very smoothly?
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
Well, you keep eliminating the most frequent causes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I never really opened the boat up once I got the alarm. Tried to keep it at 25-30 miles an hour. Did have to punch it when leaving spots since I use my trolling motor a lot and did not notice any hesitation or loss of power than.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
this would be on plane running at around 4000-4500 RPM
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Need to go to work in a half hour. If I can get volt meter what should I check?
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
I need you to check the battery volts, right before cranking, just after the engine starts and as it is running.. The voltage once the engine starts sould be around 13V at idle and go up to 14V at around 1500 RPM.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
Also make sure that this battery is the proper size for this engine. It does take an extra heady duty cranking battery. 850 CCA/ 1000 MCA.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Battery is correct.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
Great. that rules out another of the common issues with this engine. When was the last time that the fuel filters were replaced?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have not replaced fuel filters?
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
I would due to their age. One is located right on the front of the engine when the fuel line enters the cowling. The other is on the left side about 3/4 ways down the side of the block. They are both the same part number, 879885T. Any Mercury outboard dealer should carry them. Give that a shot and let me know how it runs after that.