Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Have Freedom 2500, prob 2003 model, and 2 4d AGM batteries

Customer Question

Have Freedom 2500, prob 2003 model, and 2 4d AGM batteries prob from 2010-2011. Had boat for 3+ years, all fine. As of today, batteries are dead, engines won't turn over and familiar clicking sound is heard. Remote panel shows (invert off) battery status green, DC volts 12.5. When I reset the unit, status turns red, voltage rises to 14.5, then status turns yellow, then green, and voltage goes back to 12.5. I am buying new batteries (assuming they are at least 5 years old. If I let the generator run for about an hour, I can start at least 1 engine but not both....
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.I have read all that you wrote, yet I do not see a question. How is it that I may assist you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Trying to figure out whether the batteries are shot or if there is a problem with the Xantrex charger/inverter.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Ok, the first thing that you will need to do is to disconnect the charger/inverter from the batteries, then using a different charger, fully charge them and have them load tested at an auto parts store. When a battery is discharged to below a certain cut off voltage most chargers will not "see" then correctly to start a charging process. You may need to either jump a dead battery from a known good one, or use a boost pack for a bit to get the charger to locate the positive and negative on the battery. If the batteries come up to full charge rather quickly, they are indeed bad. After you get the batteries charged and tested, try the onboard charger again. If it still does the same with the lights and the panel, it is bad.