Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

This question is outboard mechanic. I have a 1973 55 hp

Customer Question

This question is for an outboard mechanic. I have a 1973 55 hp Evinrude. My question is regarding the screw adjustment above the throttle plate that adjusts the timing. It seems to only adjust the stop for the timing advance lever. It appears to only come into play at idle. How should I adjust this? I see timing marks on the flywheel, and found the arrow on the casting, but all the posts I see talk about adjusting the timing at full throttle. I don't think this stop would do anything for that.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry. My motor is a 1983, not 1973. Sorry. Finger trouble.
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.
Hello. My name is Tan. Could I get the engine model number please?
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.
Does this look similar to your engine?The red arrow is for idle timing and the yellow is for full throttle timing.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My model is CE55RSLT Means Canadian Evinrude 55 hp rope start commercial long, 83. No, Mine doesn't look like that at all.
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.
Can you post a pic of the linkage on your engine?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just took a photo of it.
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.
Sorry I don't have any info on that particular motor. I will opt out for another expert to help.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I see a stop on the right that might be for the full-power timing. If so, it doesn't presently contact anything at full power. I guess I'd like to have the timing procedure for both positions.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I found what I needed. I downloaded a manual. thanks anyway
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? When you get oil out of that hose that typically means the rings are cracked or worn, and there is to much blow by getting into the crankcase, blowing gasses and oil out. Have you run a compression test on the engine yet?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Jason. I won't need you now. I downloaded a service manual, and I got the info I needed. Motor is now timed and running well.