Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

We are ready to launch but the motor won't turn over. The

Customer Question

We are ready to launch but the motor won't turn over. The fuses on the dash are good, the tilt for the outdrive works well and the battery is charged. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.....Bil Curtis
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: When we turn the key to the ignition nothing happens. The gauges do not come up as usual and the motor won't even turn over. This boat has a 4 cylinder motor and was made in 1990 here in Michigan. It's a 4 wins, 170 freedom
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No, mam!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the make, model and serial number of the engine please?Do you have a hand held volt meter to do some voltage tests?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Make: Cobra 3.0, Model 302BMRPWS, Serial #: T01187486
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No sorry no voltage meter.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Look on the engine for a large red button this will be a circuit breaker push the button. You will have to push it real hard. Does the engine crank now?This could have a large inline fuse in a red fuse holder also. The fuse is a 50 amp.The fuse or the breaker will be coming off the start solenoid on the shift bracket on the engine.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. We're all set.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Your welcome.............Thank you..........Tan Please don't forget to positively rate my service as that is the only way I get credit for helping you. To rate click on the 5 stars. Thank you.........Tan