Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,

I start the boat get it up on plane, runs great 15 min then

Customer Question

I start the boat get it up on plane, runs great for about 15 min then it starts coughing and then dies. Will not start right away. Need to wait awhile. 5.7 2006 pleasure craft motor
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: When the motor is cold it runs great. After I run it awhile it starts acting up. I removed the Elec. Fuel pump. Ground didn't look to good. Cleaned it up. Same problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today. When this happens have you checked the fuel pressure and or tried some starting fluid to see if it will start on that? If not that is the first place I would start as it sounds most likely fuel related and because of that I would first start my diagnosis there. We would be wanting to check for starvation and or lack of fuel, vapor lock, etc. One thing to also try is removing the fuel fill cap to see if that allows it to stay running which would indicate a vent issue. Thank you!- JoePlease rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated. If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your reply Joe. What is vapor lock and what would cause it?
Expert:  Joe replied 5 months ago.
It is easier to just link you to info since the info i provide will pretty much be the same: Thanks,Joe
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay thanks
Expert:  Joe replied 5 months ago.
No problem at all. Please let me know what you find and or if you need any further help. Thanks,Joe
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Joe, changed fuel pump, water separator.same problem. Gets up on the plane and then it dies out. Opened up gas cap no difference. I pushed accelerator pump down and gas is squirting into carb.when it shut off alot of fog came out of the air cleaner. Now it won't start.Need help!!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I try to start it engine is binding
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked pick up in tank. Screen and tube are clean. This problem started last year. I put fresh gas in. The gas I use has no ethanol.