Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Again Tan Ok, going backwards to this problem again, the

Customer Question

Hello again Tan
Ok, going backwards to this problem again, the trim keeps getting stuck and ive had to use a hammer and keep hitting the pump in order to get the trim down. I believe I am going to have to replace the pump as I don't trust it and don't want to get stuck.
can you tell me what to order?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello.Is the motor just hanging up? We can replace just the motor is that's all you need.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
its just clicking, but when I hit it with a hammer the trim moves a little at a time.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Just clicking is either low voltage or the relay is bad.Do you have a volt meter we can do some testing? You have either a bad relay, bad motor or low voltage.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
last time I changed the wires on the side and it worked but would get stuck a little. the battery is full charged.
I don't have a meter, but my friend did test it for power and even tried to jump it direct from a second battery.
he said maybe I need to just clean the brushes but the pump is beat up a little from hitting with a hammer lol.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok I'm going to send a diagram of the pump and the wiring. We need to disconnect some of the wires for testing. We need to disconnect the blue F and green C for the relay. Now jump the blue to red A and the green to black B. The trim should run. Does it? Then reverse the blue and green the pump should run. Does the pump run in both tests?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will have to get back to you at another time. The boat is at the boat yard now and I will have to go there to try it.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok that's fine. This will tell us if it is the relay or the motor. The complete trim pump isn't available anymore. When it was it cost over $700.00. We can get the motor for about $265 or the relay $271. We can get by on the relay as there is a kit where you can use 2 relays and do some wiring for $38.00. So let me know what you find when you a chance to do these checks. Thank you......Tan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks Tan.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Your welcome.