Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 1985 Johnson 9.9 I just purchased camp boat. It has

Customer Question

I have a 1985 Johnson 9.9 I just purchased for our camp boat. It has electric start and was running fine. My wife and I were cruizing up the river and it just died----after a 2 mile up-stream row (12' boat) we got it trailered but find I have no spark either with electric or manual pull. Turns over fine with regular resistance, just has no spark. Motor did not sputter or bog down----just quit. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie, my name is***** you have a hand held volt/ohm meter and are you capable to taking electrical resistance measurements?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry, I do not. Just moved here and have all of my stuff still in storage
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess the motor is actually a 87 model J10ECUE
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Without a meter there is nothing we can test. Did you have any specific or general questions for me?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll find a meter now that it cost me $26. Not sure what to check----I'm not a mechanic
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
I can't teach you how to use a meter, do you know how to use one?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can get continuity readings but beyond that I'm pretty much useless. My dad was a mechanic and had the equipment and knows how to use it properly. He's at church. Will get get to you if that's OK
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Okay no problem. Just reply back when your dad is there and you are ready to work and we can take it from there.