Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance

Pearl. I'm replacing the oil tank on my 1996 evinrude 90hp

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I'm replacing the oil tank on my 1996 evinrude 90hp outboard and am trying to confirm if I need to prime the oil after I replace the tank
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: the part I'm replacing is(###) ###-####
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No. I think that cracked oil tanks are common on this motor. I just don't want to harm it by running without oil if I get a bubble in the tubes.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 5 months ago.
You have to prime the system. With the oil line off the engine, squeeze the oil primer bulb until you get oil out of the line, then attach the line to the engine. Once attached squeeze the oil primer bulb until you see oil in the small little sight tube. The oil alarm will sound until oil reaches the VRO with the engine running.Mark the level of oil on the tank.Mix 50 to 1 oil ratio in your fuel and run the engine on the pre-mix as well as the VRO until you are sure you are using oil by the oil level dropping lower than the mark on the tank. Then you can switch back to straight gas.Thanks