Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

25 hp Mercury motor on 18 foot pontoon boat...... Remote

Customer Question

25 hp Mercury motor on 18 foot pontoon boat...... Remote control. All of a sudden when putting boat in reverse it speeds forward....help
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Hi To, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. You seem to be opening new questions up, is the website giving you problems? If you bring the remote control into neutral, does it go into neutral, or is it still in forward gear when the shifter is in the neutral positon?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Forward gear
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
website giving me problem... May have been charged twice because I asked question twice..... Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
No problem, I can have customer service look into that for you. I just want to confirm, the outboard is in forward gear when you move the shifter into neutral, correct?Are you near the boat now to check something?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Boat works in forward and neutral, but putting in reverse does not work, boat just goes forward
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you there
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Pop the engine cover off and locate the control cables. Watch the cables while a helper pushes the throttle handle forward. The shift cable will be the first one to move. Let me know if the cable does move when you push the throttle forward. And then let me know if it moves in the same direction, or the opposite direction, when you pull the throttle into reverse.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Would you prefer to do this over the phone?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We had to leave our cottage due to a family emergency. Is it possible to call you on this coming Thurs to discuss when we are near the boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
I do this on the side and do not have set hours. If you would like to set up a call for Thursday just reply back when you are ready, and we can take it from there.Thanks,Jason