Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a 2005 Mercury 115ELPT4S (ser #1B172437) that will

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Mercury 115ELPT4S (ser #1B172437) that will not shut down when key switch is turned off or by engaging the kill switch. I purchased a new ignition switch and installed. No change. A couple of times last summer, same thing happened. I would switch the ignition switch on and off a few times and motor would shut down. Now, the motor will not shut down unless I starve it for fuel. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hi Anne, my name is***** this engine tiller control or remote control, with a separate shifter handle?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no, a side mount throttle and shifter control
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you. What this is sounding like is that the main relay is sticking on the engine. You could verify this by using a meter and back probing the power supply and return wires going into it. If it is not releasing when the key is grounded, the engine will not shut down. If you do not fel that it is the relay. You will have a wiring harness issue somewhere between the key and the engine. Part 13 is the relay.