Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 1996 200hp Evinrude motor I had a miss last year

Customer Question

I have a 1996 200hp Evinrude motor I had a miss last year and I sent my CDI stator,Timmer and power pack to check them out make sure they were good. When they came back I reinstalled them and my motor will not idle slow it runs between 3,000 and 5,ooo RPM the RPM'S runs up and down it never changes do you think I may have wired something wrong HELP.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is Tan.It's pretty hard to get something connected wrong as everything just plugs together. I would verify that all the plugs are connected to their corresponding plug by checking the color of the wires. You should have all the same colors of wires for each plug. If the colors don't match then it is connected incorrectly.Now if everything is connected correctly then we need to verify spark on all cylinders. This has to be done with a timing light. Run the engine under load and check the spark on each cylinder when the engine is surging. The flasdh of the timing light should be steady with no dead spots. If all flashes are the same on all cylinders we need to move to the fuel system. When running the boat squeeze the primer bulb when it surges. Dopes it run better? If no change choke the engine when it is acting up. Does it run better?Post back with findings?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
All of these tests have to be under load in gear in the water with engine acting up. The engine can run at idle or on flush and not show symptoms.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Here is a basic wiring diagram.You don't have to keep opening new questions come back to this link and I can help. Opening new questions cost you more money every time unless you have a subscription.