Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Motor starts but wont idle shuts down. New spark plugs new

Customer Question

Motor starts but wont idle shuts down. New spark plugs new fuel filters etc
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Wont stay running. Getting gas to filters dont know about carburator
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Hasnt been run in awhile. Garage jept
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? What is the year, make, model or serial number of the engine so I know what you are working on? What is the history on the engine, when did it last start? How old is the fuel?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dave stone
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dave, What is the year, make, model or serial number of the engine so I know what you are working on? What is the history on the engine, when did it last start? How old is the fuel?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sn OT69728803. Gas 6-8 mths old gas.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Light use. Not run in about 2 years. Idling fishing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No real issues othan water pump and new fuel lines a couple years ago to motor.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Is this a Mercury engine?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2003 yes. 60 hp 4 stroke
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Has about 80 hrs on it. Like new
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Do you have any starting fluid that you can squirt into the throttle body so we can see if it runs on that?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wheres throttle body
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Okay lets move in a different direction. Pull the engine cover off, locate the oil filter on the side of the engine. Just to the left of the oil filter is the vapor separating tank. The high pressure fuel pump is in this tank. Stand next to the tank, hold your hear to it, have a helper turn the key to RUN but do not attempt to start the engine. Can you hear the fuel pump turn on and run for approximately 2 seconds each time the key is turned to run?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I hear it
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
I'm attaching a picture. #13 is the throttle body. Spray starting fluid into that as a helper cranks the engine and let me know if the engine runs on the starting fluid or not. See attachment.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where is it near oil filter
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
On the side of the engine.