Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Brand new mercury 9.9 ,4 stroke,2016 pro kicker with 10 hrs

Customer Question

brand new mercury 9.9 ,4 stroke,2016 pro kicker with 10 hrs of break in procedure.cant get above 3000 rpm running or idle. is there a break in mode preventing more rpm until a certain amount of break in hours?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? No, there is no break in mode. Is this engine a kicker/auxillary engine? Or is it the only engine on the boat? What size/length/style boat is this outboard installed on?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Are you still with me?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is the only motor on the boat-16ft. deep vee-about 1000lbs.however,the motor doesn't go over 3000 rpm even in neutral-no load.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
The engines do have shift switches on them that prevents the engine from being over-reved in neutral. Was this motor installed on this boat correctly? Is it the right shaft length for the boat? Did a dealer select the correct propeller size for that engine on the boat that it's on?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it came as a package completely installed. runs god,but cant over 3000 rpm ,under load or in neutral.
I will just take it back to dealer.
Thanks,
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
No problem. Good luck.