Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1990 Johnson bought it new. has always cranked and ran well.

Customer Question

1990 Johnson bought it new. has always cranked and ran well. it sat up for two years because of knee replacements. cranked up motor didn't idle very well. 26 years old and never a wrench on it. rebuilt carbs, replaced all fuel lines and filters, and new plugs, new high amp cranking battery. started engine and ran fine. a week ls
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: a week later iwas going fishing decided to start motor before going to river, found out I had left the ign switch on for a week. would not start at all. pulled plugs, gas but no fire started checking kill switch and neutral switch both ok. I have replaced ign. switch rectifier kill switch shift cables and power pack . turns over well but still no fire coil checks ok. first time I haven't been able to fix it. I think the stator is all I haven't replaced. I am tired of spending money with no success
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the engine model number please?Disconnect the black/yellow wire from the power pack. Now check for spark. If no spark we need to test the stator with a Peak reading volt meter or an ohm meter. Post back with findings and model number.