Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1997 Mercury outboard which I changed the lower

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Mercury outboard which I changed the lower unit in when they sent me the lower unit they told me I had to change the shift lever at that time so I had to pull the engine also to do this I did this and have been doing the 10 hour break in period the lower unit required but I can not get the engine to rev up when in forward I assume I did something wrong when reattaching the linkages
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hi Don, my name is***** is the serial number on the outboard that you are working on? When you say "they sent me the lower unit", who are you talking about, who sent you the lower unit? Did you verify that the lower unit is the correct gear ratio for your engine? When was the last time the engine made full power? How old is the fuel?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I matched the gear ratio using one of your people's info which of course was the more expensive lower unit I ordered it on line I bought the boat with bad lower unit but old owners we're pulling kids on tube the model is a me-90. ELPTO-1997 is in a 2001 pontoon it will rev up in reverse new fuel
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Have you ever seen this engine make full power under a load?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am in Iowa so this was last fall and Iam just getting it back out for the season
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we are just breaking it in I know the people that had it before
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Has good compression
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
What are the compression numbers?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Never seen it under a load , I don't have the compression numbers I had that tested before I bought it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Shift linkage shifts hard but is easy when I do it with my hand and linkage is unhooked
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
For starters the engine will need to be compression tested, and have the spark output tested with a timing light. Is that something you can do?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I guess my question is more about the linkage,
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Okay no problem. With the engine off, take off the engine cover, and if you have a plastic cover over the front of the carbs take that off as well. Push the throttle lever all the way forward. Look down the throat of each carb. Let me know if the throttle valve (the butterfly) is fully open, or if they are only partly open. If you are not sure how to tell, do the above, and then take a picture of the throat of each carb so that I can see it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so I took it out on the lake I asked about linkage from the beginning now I have no forward and I shift into reverse it dies but wants to go forward . The question is did I ruin my new lower unit because you wouldn't listen to my question I have asked several times. As you charge me and don't listen to what Iam saying . I own several bikes 4 boats 2 jet skis several goby cars I know a bit about engines I know nothing about boat linkages. On boats not happy right now
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
The question is did I ruin my new lower unit because you wouldn't listen to my question I have asked several times You never mentioned anything about the lower unit not shifting correctly. You only said that you can not get it to rev up in forward. If your lower unit is damaged that is on you or whoever the person was that installed it. I am going to opt out, and the question will remain open to the community if somebody else wants to jump it. But I will leave saying it sounds like you are completely in over your head with this, and the reality of the situation is you need a mechanic on site to fix this for you. Good luck.