Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

Stiff Steering on a 2003 Yamaha LX210. Need to lube the

Customer Question

Stiff Steering on a 2003 Yamaha LX210. Need to lube the cables
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Steering is really stiff and there is a little slop from left to right. It has twin jets
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Hi this is Kenny, who am I speaking to ?Well unfortunately lubing your cable(s) wont be successful, what happen is corrosion occurs between the inner cable and the outer, and in come cases the outer cable seals becomes compromised (break) and that is likely where your problem lies especially if this is salt water use.So my recommendation is if you think you have one bad cable obviously replace them both as a set. If you are going to do one then the labor for both is just a little more as you are right there.The cables retail about $180.00, I seen them (new) sold on eBay for about $140.00 the part # ***** ***** If you don't plan on doing this yourself then you are going to pay 4-6 hours in labor, the flat rate from Yamaha is about 4 hours for both cables.When I was with Yamaha I saw a lot of these replaced as I'm here on the west coast and they seem to have a low tolerance to salt water.Let me know of you have any questionsThanksKenny