Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I am reinstalling my seastar hydraulic steering after

Customer Question

hello, I am reinstalling my seastar hydraulic steering after restoration and the helm will not accept but about a pint of fluid. hoses are not kinked. Any thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hi Chris, my name is***** you have a model number on this helm? How old is the helm, and was it previously in service? Helm units should never click, are you positive the clicking is coming from the helm?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Jason it's a Seastar HC5348 and yes the clicking is definitely coming from the helm unit and it turns continuously not sucking any fluid in this is my fourth unit I have installed and I'm familiar with them but this one had been disconnected when I started the restoration and now when reinstalling I'm having this problem
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that model number was for the steering cylinder the helm model is HH 5271–3
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Helm units have check valves and backflow valves inside of them. The clicking is coming from one of those valves. Up until about 5 years ago if you had a bad helm that was out of warranty you would swap it out as nobody fixed them because of liability reasons. Basically nobody wants to take the chance of somebody running the boat at full speed only to have the steering fail, and the operator crash into something. There is a company opened about 5 years ago that does rebuild the units. Their contact information is Boat Steering Solutions, LLC1070 Endeavor Court North Venice, FL 34275***-***-**** What you want to do is give them a call, and set it up so that you can ship your helm to them for repair. They can fix any valve issues the helm might have inside of it. In the event there is an internal crack in the unit and they can not fix it, they do not charge for looking at them. Did you have any other questions on the issue?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you I was most helpful I was thinking I was in for a new helm too
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
You are very welcome.I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hi Chris,It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. Please let me know if you are having trouble when trying to select a rating for my service. Thanks again,Jason