Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2005 merc 60 hp 4 stroke outboard engine. When on

Customer Question

I have a 2005 merc 60 hp 4 stroke outboard engine. When on the lake once I get to about 3000 rpm an alarm sounds and it feels like the engine starts to run rough, if I slow down it goes off but does it everytime I get to around 3000 rpm. at home I put the ears on it and ran at high rpm in neutral and in gear and it did not do it, only seems to do it under load.
Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.On your engine alarm, is it solid tone or a beeping tone?Would you please post the serial number of your engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is a solid tone
s/n 1B155899
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
SOLID TONE
S/N 1B155899
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Got it thanks. There are three reasons for a solid tone alarm on this engine. Overheat, loss of oil pressure, and over charge.do you happen to have a multimeter and an IR thermometer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
NO I DO NOT
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
when was the last time that you had the cooling system serviced?Last oil change?does the boat have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HAVE NOT HAD COOLING SYSTEM SERVICED, SEEMS TO BE CIRCULATING WATER OK
OIL CHANGE LAST YEAR,LITTLE HOURS SINCE
HAS A VOLTMETER, THINK IT IS AT ABOUT 13 OR SO
FORGOT TO MENTION THAT THE TACH IS ACTING ERRATIC
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Alright, if you have owned the boat for several seasons, I would have the water pump serviced and the thermostat looked at to make sure that it is not sticking. Volts seem ok, provided that the meter is still functioning properly.The tach is driven from the ECU. Most likely it is just a bad tach. How would you like to proceed?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
EVEN THOUGH IT SEEMS TO BE CIRCULATING WATER OK IT COULD STILL BE THE WATER PUMP?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
the water flow on this engine divides in the adapter plate. Most of it goes on to cool the engine, but there is a hose coming from the bottom of the plate that goes to the fuel cooler, then the fuel pump and then out of the tale-tell. That is the water that you are seeing. What may look like enough water, may not be enough volume of water to cool the engine.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I DID NOT MENTION THAT WHEN RUNNING IN THE YARD THE DISCHARGE WATER WAS COOL, IS THIS NORMAL OR SHOULD IT BE WARM?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
It will remain pretty cool, as it does not go thru the engine.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
THANKS, ***** ********** *****NE IS MOST LIKELY THE WATER PUMP
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
In the shop we would use a code reader to determine the true cause. Since we d not have access to one here, we need to start with the most common problem and then go from there. If you have owned the engine for more than 3 years, and never installed a impeller, it is past the factory recommended time for replacement any how.