Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

1999 120 force outboard. No spark at the plug. So far I have

Customer Question

1999 120 force outboard. No spark at the plug. So far I have replaced the stator after being told that they go bad often. Engine will still not fire using spark tester. I have gone as far as disconnecting the black yellow kill wire. No spark after that. Disconnected both yellow stator to rectifier wires... No spark. Disconnected each of the cdms and spark tested the other spark spark.
Checked the trigger while the stator was off and it was fine. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hi William, my name is***** get the serial number on the engine please.Do you have a Volt meter with a DVA? Was the stator you bought new, used, factory part, or aftermarket?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
New, mercury stator
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not the cdi stator
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You get my responsestuff? Just want to make sure we didn't lose connection...
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Your serial number did not come up, is there any chance you got a number backwards? More importantly, the engine requires a decent quality volt meter along with an adaptor called a DVA. Both are required to troubleshoot the ignitions system on this engine. do you have a Meter and DVA?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I sent a pic of the info posted on the motor that shows serial number, hp etc
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do have a fluke 87V meter. I don't have a dva adaptor
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you receive the pic?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
I've got the pick. I'm sorry for the delay but I'm trying to run your serial and it's not coming up for whatever reason. What I'm trying to see is if that engine has a rev limiter on it or not.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
In order to completely troubleshoot this engine you would need an adaptor for your fluke called a DVA. It's not something you would find locally, and you would have to order one from Snap on or someplace else. There isn't much we can do without a DVA. Did you want to try and get one and come back and continue once you have the tools needed?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, I'll just take it in to a local marine shop. Thanks for your tim . But, honestly. I don't think this is working for me
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
no problem, good luck
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do i end thus conversation now?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.