Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1989 SeaRay 340 with twin 454 Mercruisers. I have

Customer Question

I have a 1989 SeaRay 340 with twin 454 Mercruisers. I have had carb issues and I want to get good, reliable new carbs. What do you suggest and where do I get them. My boat is in Long Beach, CA and I live in Riverside, CA
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** the careburetor I would go with. Thses are the carbs that Mercruiser went to in the later models of the carbureted engines. Go with the 750 cfm. Here is a link to Edlebrock 1410 marine carburetors. These will adapt to your engine with no issues.http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/carburetors/marine.shtml Post back with questions.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Here is a link to that carb for purchase. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1410?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAjwpfC5BRCT1sKW2qzwqE0SJABkKFKRDCV3WK31Tn7UWlh0YHM-I0LrVvUumNM-hp7PrQ61aRoC4Pnw_wcB
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mine are not electric choke.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
All you have to do is run a ignition wire from the ignition coil to the choke and a ground to the engine. Other wise you will have to go back with the Rochester Quadrajet.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is the Edlebrock that much better
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
I think so. They don't have the hesitation issues or leak down problems the Q jets have. So you get better accelration and quicker starts.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do they have the same footprint -- do they bolt on without adapters
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
and the linkage matches up?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
You will have to change the base gasket. The bolt pattern is the same.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
You might have to make some minor adjustments.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Your welcome..........Thank you.....Tan Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Post back if you need further assistance.