Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Yesterday the oil pressure alarm sounded when I turned on the

Customer Question

Yesterday the oil pressure alarm sounded when I turned on the key as per correct, although when I pulled the engine off the alarm did not sound, I checked it again and the alarm was feeble for a split second but was strong after, then did not come on when it stopped. I tried it one more time and the alarm was strong at first, then again did not come on after I turned it off.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know if this incident is related, but before I turned on the engine, (was second time only this season) I checked the oil dipstick... the oil was really thick and black (we changed it before winterizing but...) and I realized after the alarm problem that I had not pushed it all the way down (one more click, damn it) but I pushed it in, and the motor started as per the second time mentioned above, the alarm strong when I started, then non-existent when I pulled it off....
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yanmar 1GM10 1986
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Hello Karen. My name is ***** ***** to verify that you have oil pressure. Remove the oil pressure sending unit and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Do you have oil pressure?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not have that --- do I need to buy one?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is it a good product to own? or should I borrow one from someone
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
This just a tool for verification that the alarm is working correctly. This is something you could install so you can monitor actual oil pressure. You can buy an oil pressure gauge kit. The oil alarm is just an on off switch. So when you don't have oil pressure the alarm will sound. It doesn't know what the pressure is. It could be just a faulty alarm switch this is why we need to verify oil pressure to be sure you do have oil pressure. Installing is up to you. If you have oil pressure the alarm switch is faulty. If you have no oil pressure you need to have the engine checked out. This could be an oil pump failure. Post back with findings and questions.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay thanks Tan, I will head to the club now, I might have seen a gauge in the shop, or borrow, then I will let you know... then I can rate and pay? it won't be long
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks.