Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a albemarle boat with a 5.7 gi-e engine serial #3869258.

Customer Question

I have a albemarle boat with a 5.7 gi-e engine serial #3869258. The engine has always been hard to start, hot or cold. I've always had to fast idle or manually choke it to start it regardless of its hot or cold. Recently the engine has started a new issue of cranking up and running rich, sputtering, and a high pitch sucking noise coming from the throttle body and after ten seconds the engine idle flattens out and it runs perfect until you have to crank it up again. I unhooked the vacuum hose behind the throttle body going to the valve cover which I guess is a ac Delco pcv valve and no more hissing noise and it starts very easily without having to fast idle it. The rpms are Around 150 higher with the vacuum hose off and it still sputters for ten seconds before flattening out to a nice idle.
I have replaced the iac valve, fuel pressure regulator, last season the whole fuel pump was r laced, cleaned the throttle body, new spark plugs and distributor which all of this had had no improvement to the problem. Also have run it on a portable gas tank and still the same. The high fuel pressure was at 50 psi and seemed like it held there very well and the low side was 20 psi that went to 0 after the engine was cut off which wasn't sure if that was normal. Do you think the problem could be the fuel injectors or some kind of vacuum leak or getting to much fuel at start up?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Have you run a compression test, or had it hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool yet?