Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I accidentally reversed the battery leads to my 2015 9.8 Tohatsu

Customer Question

I accidentally reversed the battery leads to my 2015 9.8 Tohatsu outboard with electric start and alternator. I had previously used my motorcycle battery to run our sailboat with this motor but this year I used the internal wiring but the polarity was incorrectly noted on the wires. I traced the the wires to the motor and corrected the wiring but the electric start will not work now. I suspect I may have blown something in the starting/charging circuit or is there a protecting fuse. Thanks JIm
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you. Make sure that you did not blow fuse 15-1 in the diagram. It is under the cover of part 15. It will be a 20A mini fuse. Look at if and let me know what you see there.