Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a single engine Cummins 330 6bta that abruptly shut

Customer Question

I have a single engine Cummins 330 6bta that abruptly shut down while cruising. Was running at 2,400 when it just stopped. Would not start back up until almost fully cooled. Temp was running at normal 180 degrees but temp gage was hire when tried to restart. Letter started and ran normal in every way. Any idea where to start troubleshooting?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hi Matthew, my name is***** this a 1 time event, or can you duplicate it?How old is the fuel in the boat?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did it once before when I first bought it but air filter had fallen off and boat started right back up. Nothing sense. Fuel is about 4 months old but does have a stabilizer in it.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Got it. It could be any number of things. What kinds of questions did you have?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well ultimately I want to solve the
Problem but want to start with least expensive and work my way through it. I don't think it overheated so was thinking an electrical celeboid perhaps was bad. or maybe it's something common to this engine.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
The engine could have got a little gulp of bad fuel, and that's all it takes for it to stall. There are so many posibilites here from bad fuel, algae in the tank clogging the fuel pickup, bad key switch, loose wires at key switch, loose wires at stop solenoid. You could spend 2 days looking at this and not figure out what the problem is if you can not duplicate the problem first. Where did you want to start?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure. Another weird thing was when I initially attempted to start back, and it wouldn't, in other words it turned over bit wouldn't start, but my blower motor never would kick back on. Everything else electrical seemed fine. After an hour blower came back on and then I was able to start. Almost as if the boat has some kind of safety thing that shit everything down.