Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 2004 Yamaha 800XLT.. I brought it out this season,

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Yamaha 800XLT.. I brought it out this season, and as always it starts right up however; It does not want to get going. If I pull half up on the choke it will start to take off and then slow down again. If I hold the throttle down and does not make a difference and then it will take off for about 4 seconds and slow down again... What is most likely the problem? I changed the plugs also.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 5 months ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.This sounds like it is a carburetor problem. The fact that you can help it by pulling the choke half way out indicates it is starving for fuel. By cutting the air flow back (pulling the choke) you are matching the air flow to the available (restricted) fuel flow.In all likelihood, the carbs are going to need to be taken apart, inspected and cleaned. Before you do that though, I would definitely perform a compression test on both cylinders to ensure the engine is mechanically sound as well. It is possible a carb problem such as this, which is running lean, can also cause other problems in the engine. A compression test will let us know if there are other issues besides the fuel delivery problem.Let me know what you find.ThanksRSRBOB