Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I am not getting power to the coil on my 2007 5.7L Volvo Penta

Customer Question

I am not getting power to the coil on my 2007 5.7L Volvo Penta engine . therefore no spark to the distributor or plugs. I am getting fuel to the cylinders,but it only turns over, no start.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I had to replace the battery and alternator and starter on this engine. It started up fine before I changed the starter, but now it won't start. I also changed the plugs thinking that may help,but it didn't. I can see that there is no spark at the plugs. I checked the alternator and no spark there. Checked the coil to see if there was power coming in to the coil and no power coming in.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: sorry,I meant I checked the power coming into the distributor, not the alternator. No power coming into the distributor. I can smell the gas coming out of the spark plug hole when the plug is removed,so I know it's getting gas.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.
Hello Mike. My name is***** the gauges come on? Is the kill lanyard attached to kill switch?Could I get the complete engine model number please?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The gauges do come on and the engine does turn over like it wants to start.The kill lanyard is not attached,but it never has been used since I have owned the boat. model # (###) ###-####I think. This is the # ***** on the engine cover. Volvo Penta Gi-G
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.
This is an electronically controlled engine and you will need a scan tool to trouble shoot the problem you are having.The engine has a crank position sensor a camshaft position sensor. You can find a problem without a scanner. Sorry wish I had better news.