Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Pearl, I just bought a 16 ft. Ski boat and paired it with

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I just bought a 16 ft. Ski boat and paired it with a Suzuki 85 HP outboard. My question is where do I plug in the wiring harness to the boat.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I simply don't know where to plug in the outboard wiring harness. Not the wires for the ignition and hear box but the plug in harness
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I also connected the steering cable and have a lot of play when turning the helm. Would shortening the length of the cable help
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 6 months ago.
You can't shorten the steering cable. Are the nuts on the steering cable tight on the tilt tube?Are your controls, the wiring harness, Suzuki brand? You say not the gear box parts or ignition, so I'm not sure I understand which harness you are referring to. Can you explain further?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sure, coming out of the motor with the battery cables is a black wiring harness with a square plug st the end. I haven't yet tightened the nuts on the tilt tube
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 6 months ago.
Tighten the steering cable nut to the tilt tube on the starboard side.You have the year, model number of the engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I'll check the serial number tomirrow, it's too dark now. I know it's a 3 cylinder oil injected
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 6 months ago.
Get me the model and serial number if possible.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok sorry for the wait it is a dt85 I don't know if you can date the motor, it doesn't have a letter. 8501 717654
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 6 months ago.
The motor is a 1987 model year.The main harness for that engine should be a round connector.How many wires are in that harness you have?What colors are they?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The main harness is round, it goes to the ignition, gearbox etc. There is another harness, not as big, flat black with a square end. It comes off the motor with the battery cable.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 6 months ago.
I think what you are looking at is the small harness for the oil level indicator. It goes from the oil tank to an oil level gauge, if you don't have the gauge it is not used.