Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Port engine will not crank although starboard started immediately.

Customer Question

Port engine will not crank although starboard started immediately. Did cross over and still not cranking. Fuel gage says empty or near empty. Could that be it? Both engines just tuned up for summer and both started easy when bringing boat into harbor from storage
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Sea ray(###) ###-####model
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** means the starter isn't spinning the flywheel. Not starting means engine is spinning over but not firing. Which is your issue.If the engine ran coming in to harbor. It is very possible you are out of fuel. These fuel gauges are not real accurate. I would verify that you have fuel then try starting the engine.Could I get the engine serial number please. If this is a fuel injected motor you can check for fuel at the fuel rail on the test port. Tiurn key on let fuel pump cycle then push in on the fuel test port pin. You should have fuel not air. Be sure you have a rag to catch any fuel and safety glases as this will be under pressure.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The engines are 5 liter fuel injection I'm almost certain. 2003 model. The fuel gage says on the port empty and starboard 1/5 full. Starboard fired up immediately. Both engines sound the all clear when ignition button pressed. Starboard is louder.
So the is no cranking at all on port and fuel Gage indicates empty.
Best estimate is fuel?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Yes since it was running then won't start.I would start there first. Then if you still have an issue post back with what you have done and found.Be sure the kill lanyard is attached.Keep me posted with your findings.The question stays open even after you have rated my service. There is no extra charge for follow up questions.