Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

I have a 1998 Kawasaki stx 1100. I rebuilt the motor, it overheated

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Kawasaki stx 1100. I rebuilt the motor, it overheated from previous owner. New stator and trigger, new voltage regulator and new ecm. All wiring checks out and I still have not spark on all three cylinder?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: not that I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Hi this is Kenny, who am I speaking to ? Couple of questions before I get started,Hours currently on this unit ?Do you know if spark was there before the rebuild ?Parts replaced, OE or aftermarket, if OE parts were replaced, if you can supply the part numbers ?HIN # (Hull number) ?Also can you give me a list of the engine parts that were replaced, if the flywheel was replaced let me know that also, not necessary for the part numbers except if the flywheel was replaced I would like that ?Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hours 110
oem parts the only number I could find was ignitor f8t32575, the stator is in the machine along with the voltage regulator that are all new. Hull # *****Some back ground on it was that the person that had it before ran it without water and burned down two pistons and melted an exhaust boot. When I rebuild it , it ran for 30 seconds and started to misfire and then died. I haven't had spark since. I check the landyard and it is working as it should. It has a brand new battery fully charged.Thank you
Jeff
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
oh and I did not replace the flywheel. It was still tight and the key way was line up so I did see the need
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Jeff, I think your HIN # ***** ***** its a JT1100-B1 looks like originally out of NH, anyway I want to open up the electrical box (where the CDI box is located) there is a white wire I want it disconnected at the CDI box, I think it could be in a 3 pin connector, and if it is there might be a B/WHT wire and a gray wire if so just unplug that connector, once you do that then lets checkk for spark again, let me know what you get then,ThanksKenny
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tried it tonight still not spark.Jeff
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
OK, thanks, ***** ***** to check the stator outputs that will tell us what's going on, give me a bit here as I need to put something together for you.Thanks JeffKenny
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Jeff I'm going to have you do some resistance checks on your stator and then AC output test of need, please download the PDF file and them let me know what you come up with,ThanksKennyhttp://spaces.hightail.com/receive/toiOO
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi KennyFor some reason the link doesn't open anymore, it did last night? I think you were asking to check olms and voltage on the blue and green if that's so olms is 49 and volts is 87-86 on green and blue.Jeff
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
You HAVE to download and SAVE a copy, they don't stay there very long, so you don't have a copy ? It said you downloaded it ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't, sorry I didn't see that part, I thought I could come home and download it and do the test.jeff
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
OK Jeff, let me find the file and have to upload it again, it will be a different file,
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
http://spaces.hightail.com/receive/oIz18
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi KennyHere are the readings I got. Not sure how accurate they are?purple-red 437 holms 15 volts
yellow-black 39 holm 56 volts
green-blue 447 holms 54 voltslet me know if I screwed it upjeff
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Your resistance values are somewhat in line, the yellow black is off, the VAC on the blue-green is way high, I think that is just a reading error ?Something is going on here on this unit, CDI boxes just really don't see them going bad, based on everything we checked here tells me its bad ??Now you sure you disconnect the white wire at the CDI box and then checked for spark ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have two cdi that I'm told came out of running machines. I have tried them both with the white wire disconnected.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
OK Jeff, there is a 3 pin plug at the CDI box, did you try unplugging that and then check for spark, it has a gray wire, b/wht and the white wire ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
OK Jeff, on the wiring harness (towards the front of the ski under the steering tower) there is a "joint connector" its in the main harness, that connector connects a series of ground wires and about 3-4 positive wires, the majority of the wires that are connected are grounds (black/white)s, the joint connector is gray in color, opposite side of the wires that is a cap, it has tabs on two sides opposite of each other, you'll need a couple of small screwdrivers and you want to remove that cap, once the cap is removed you'll see in the cap the tabs that plug into the wires to connect them, you want to look for corrosion inside, if so look to make sure the tabs are not corroded and of so clean and inspect, if they look OK then clean up everything real good and then coat them with some dielectric grease and put the cap back on and then check for spark.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Looks brand new in there
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
No appearance of moisture inside ?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Do you just have this one ski or you have two of these ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No moisture and I only have one
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
you have another CDI you said, and you replaced the stator ? new parts or used ? did you have the flywheel off ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I didn't take the flywheel off. the stator and voltage regulator are new the cdi are used.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Obviously something is over looked here, now where is the stator from, is it a Kawasaki part or aftermarket ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oem
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Jeff I want to go back to the AC voltage on the stator, also one other questionHow hot did this engine get, was there discoloration on the crankcases, was the crankshaft replaced ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Crank was fine just melted a piston
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
how discolored were the engine parts, ? was the flywheel removed when you rebuilt the engine ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no the flywheel was not removed
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
I want you to check the AC volts again on the blue-green wire pairs ?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Set the meter to VAC lowest scale "200" or if there is a lower setting, spark plugs in and cranking the engine over
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
you should get around .5-1.0 volts (a half of a volt to a volt), nothing like your last check ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
30 v
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
That's way to high, never seen one that high, 2 volts maybe max ! if you are correct and it has a new stator and have tried two new boxes, I want you to pull that front cover, and then I need pictures of the flywheel and the stator in the cover, you got something going on down there ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Changed the setting on the multimeter and got .3
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
OK then recheck the other pairs that you did earlier ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Purple - red 26
Yellow - black 2.4
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
I don't know Jeff, if you done everything I asked and came up with these results it tells me the stator is good, unless when you put it back together that you have a pinched wire and or its rubbing on the flywheel, I think you need to pull that front cover off, I would like to see a picture of the flywheel also, and the stator as it sits in that front cover, so the chances of you having to bad CDI boxes is about the same odds as winning the lottery, other then something to do with the installation of the stator I would be out of bullets at this time, something is not adding up here ?????
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here they are
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Jeff answer me one question, I replied back at 1:16 and less then 10 minutes you pulled the front cover and loaded pictures up here ?I've worked on a ton of these engines in the hull, I could not do that job that fast ?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
both pictures are too blurry to make out what I want to see ??
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had already started taking it off before you asked and I have been trying to get this thing running for a year is taken of 20 times by know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is more
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Can you look at the pictures before you send them, if they are out of focus then retake,Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm really not sure what there is to look at anyway. If the number coming out of the stator are correct the stator is good. What is there to look at???????????
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Do you have the old stator ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Jeff, I don't think that I'm getting back the information that is going to lead me to fix your problem, I have NEVER had one of these that I haven't been able to come up with the fix, I've been doing this a long time and the answers I'm getting back from you are questioning me as to why ? I'm going to opt out and you can take your shot with someone else as I feel that this is not going anywhere with me.Good luck !ThanksKenny
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok you asked if I have the old stator and I answered????????????good luck