Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I need the wiring schematic 5.7l starter mercruiser.

Customer Question

I need the wiring schematic for a 5.7l starter mercruiser. changed starter & don't remember proper connecting sequencd
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have 4 possible leads & don't know which goes where
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I have 3 red leads and one blue
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?Mercruiser engines are cataloged by serial number, do you happen to have that number, I would need to know what vintage engine you have. Next, you said you had a blue wire. Is it blue, or more of a purple/violet?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can get serial # ***** 5 minutes and it's a blue which goes to the battery
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
There shouldn't be any blue wires, if there is one, it's probably for an accessory. But let me get the serial, and I will pull the correct schematic from the factory service manual for you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
s/n and I have 3 red and one blue, #OF418766
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Got the serial. You wire colors are not jiving with what the factory service manuals says. What you should have is 2 red wires, 1 orange, 1 yellow/with a red stripe. I think somebody did some electrical work on your boat at some point and changed things. Can you take a few pictures of all of the wires that you have. Can you also trace this blue wire and see where the other end of it is going?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can't take pictures. Think blue wire is larger and 3 red ones are smaller
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My son says one goes to distributor, he thinks
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Are you able to take a picture of the wiring for me? The problem is I could just give you the wiring diagram, but if the diagram doesn't match what is in front of you then isn't going to help you very much.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wiring can be traced to distributor for one and to battery for another. other two I'm not sure, maybe to tilt?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Did you replace just the starter motor, or did you disconnect more than the starter motor?Also, can you open up PDF files if I send you the diagram in that format?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We replaced starter and can open pdf
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
I'm uploading the diagram now. Have a look at it and let me know what you think. See attatchment.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Received pdf. Will have to leave for mass now Will Check when return. thanks, Wayne
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
You are very welcome Wayne, please let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could you send enlarged image of starter connectors only & their termination points? we should be able to trace from there
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hmmm.. Does your starter solenoid have the large 90 amp fuse on it? The older ones did not, but, when replacing starters most people add these for safety. Do you know if you have the 90 amp fuse or not? If you are not sure, the best thing to do would be to take a couple of pictures of all of the wiring you have in front of you, as well as a picture of your starter solenoid.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Great help need more info but unable to continue now
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
No problem, there are no time limits here. I want to make sure I get you wired up correctly so just take some pictures when you can and we can take it from there. Thanks Wayne,Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hi Wayne, just checking in. Any progress?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason