Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I changed the motor from one boat to another and now it smokes

Customer Question

i changed the motor from one boat to another and now it smokes like crazy and will rev up when it is idling on a water hose
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: the 150 optimax ran perfect on one boat I changed it to another boat and used the wiring harness on the boat I changed it to but it looked the same as the other boat and put it in the water when I started it it smoked real bad and it will rev to about 35 hundred rpm on its on
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: do not know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Hello Jerry, My name is***** will assist you.Would you please post the serial number of the engine so that I can see which exactly which one that you have?Does it rev straight to 3500, or will it idle normally for a bit?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1b425271 serial #
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it will idle normally for a bit then rev and smokes like crazy all the time it is running, the throttle cable is o k so it should idle in that location it is against the stop
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you holing off the answer so I will pat the $ 26.00 for the phone?
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. I wan not holding off for any money. My computer decided to run an update this morning and then I had baseball practice. We all do this on the side. When you installed the engine, did you shift the engine to forward several times while you had the key on? This would account for the smoke. Or is there oil in the fuel of the boat?Will the engine slow down after the throttle goes up?Do you have a gauge that can read over 120 PSI and can screw onto a fitting like that on a tire?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did shift the engine forward 5 times I found that info on the you tube for free. I have taken it to a mechanic so don't worry about it anymore your reply was too slow so I asked for a refund on my credit card, even though you do this on the side you should let your customers know, this info was way to slow when someone is working on their boats their self
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Ok, good luck on the engine.