Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a Searay 265, twin engine. There is juice to the solenoids,

Customer Question

I have a Searay 265, twin engine. There is juice to the solenoids, battery's crank amps are great, lights, horn, wipers work. When the port ignition key is turned on the matching gauges respond but there is nothing from the motor. When the starboard engine ignition key is turned the gauges do not respond. We have not been able to find a bad fuse or loose wire. We suspect the starboard ignition switch could be bad since the gauges don't respond but that doesn't explain why neither engine makes any effort to start. There is total silence when the key is turned. We have had 3 auto mechanics look at it and they are baffled. The switches that determine which battery(ies) will be used are both on and onto 2 batteries each switch. Any suggestions?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have already paid and given a credit card. Please respond to my question. I started a session with "Tan" I think it was, and then the pay window popped up again. I don't want to pay twice when I haven't gotten any answer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please call or text me after 10 a.m. eastern time as I am in mountain time. I'm going to sign off for the night.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** have a volt meter to do some testing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes, we have a volt meter.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
ok we need to start at the key switch. Check for voltage on all the wires on key switch red 12 volts all the time, purple 12 volts key on, yellow/red 12 when key is in crank [position. Then if you have voltage to all in there correct position. We need to follow the purple wire to the gauges and the yellow/red to the neutral safety switch. Do these checks and post back with findings.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Using a multi meter we checked all the fuses we could find and the current to the solenoids. I don't know how to check the ignition switch and would need instructions for that. We took the batteries to Walmart and had them tested and they are good with full charge.Where is the neutral safety switch located and what does it look like?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well duh, my guess is it is at the end of the yellow/red wire. Will do that and get back.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
To test the ignition switch to have to get to the back side of the switch to access the wires. The neutral safety switch is in the shift control. All you need to do is test voltage on the 2 yellow/red wires coming out of the control with key in crank position. We have to start at the key switch first. This is where everything get voltage. If you can't locate the neutral safety switch wires we test voltage at the key switch then at the solenoid on the engine yellow/red.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, the port switch has all voltage. The starboard has no voltage going to it. port solenoid has voltage and by jumping could get port engine to turn. Nothing on starboard engine. Is there an inline fuse located under dash or shift levers that might be blown. We tested the fuse just above the batteries and it is good.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a single thing that could cause both engines to not turn over?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok lets do one engine at a time. It gets confusing on what engine is doing what when you start saying port does this and stbd does this. No. On the engine that does nothing stbd. Check for voltage on the circuit breaker at the engine both terminals.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please tell me where this "the circuit breaker at the engine" would be located and what it looks like. There is something that has a red reset button which we have attempted to reset but it doesn't push in when pressure is applied to it. The fuses are mounted on the inside of a drop down door that provides visibility to the back of the gauges and switches but they are 8-10 feet from the engines. Is there a way to send a picture either to us or to you?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. The red button is the circuit breaker for the engine. We need to check both wires of the breaker for voltage. The fuse panel is for just the boat accessories.If you need to send a pic click on the paper clip and follow the links. This is for pic on your computer. If you have a link from the intermet you need to send click on the chain. These icons are in the tool bar above you reply box.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tan, we decided we are too ignorant to fix this and are going to take it to a mechanic in Page,
Arizona. We appreciate your help and it is OK that we were charged the $29.00 even though we couldn't figure it out. It is nice to know that someone is there that will answer questions.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok these kind of issues can get pretty involved.Please don't forget to positively rate my service as that is the only way I get credit for helping you. Thank youi........Tan Click on the stars at the top of page to rate.