Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Chaparral 186 SSI 186 SSI: Marine Mechanic Boat - Chaparral

Customer Question

Marine Mechanic
Boat - Chaparral 186 SSI 1999
MerCruiser - Alpha One
Question: Worked fine last fall, this spring it is hard to put into reverse. When I get it in at an idle it will back up slowly. If I try to give it more gas in reverse it bogs down the engine and kills it. Runs fine in the forward gear. Seems like maybe it is some kind of throttle linkage problem???
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** a shift cable issue. On the shift bracket you have a switch. Put engine in reverse disconnect the shift switch now give the engine some throttle does it die now? Here is the shift bracket the 2 wires are to the shift switch disconnect one of the wires.