Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 4.3 sterndrive that won't start. The engine catches

Customer Question

I have a 4.3 sterndrive that won't start. The engine catches but immediately dies. seems like it's getting enough fuel to kick over but not enough to run. And, I don't hear the fuel pump running.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the engine make and serial number please?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm away from the marina and can may not have all the info you seek readily available. What I know is this: It's a 4.3 l GS chevy engine, serial # ***** with a volvo penta stern drive. the bat was manufactured by Chris Craft in 1996.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Ok when you turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump run. If you don't we need to check for voltage at the fuel pump. The fuel pump will have 2 wires coming off the pump locate the connector where the engine harness connects to the fuel pump. Test for voltage at the pump when you turn key on and when cranking. Do you have voltage. We need to make sure that we are getting voltage to the pump. You could have a bad relay or a bad pump. The fuel pump relay # ***** is on a bracket right next to the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Using an OHM meter I checked for voltage at the pump and found that there is none. Also, with the switch on I did not hear the pump, as usual.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, Assuming it was a faulty relay I installed a new one, and because there are two relays I replaced both. It didn't help.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did I tell you that the boat starts easily. the the engine dies right away.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Ok in this diagram check for voltage on the red wire and the yellow/red or orange with key on and cranking do you have voltage to all? Does it die soon as you let off the key?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not at the marina just now, there's no internet service there. I'll try what you suggest tomorrow.As for your other question,yesthe engine dies immediately upon release of the switch key.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It seems to me that the engine is getting some fuel or it wouldn't start at all. But it's not getting a continuous supply in an adequate amount to sustain itself. Could there be some interlock that is preventing the continuous fuel flow?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Ok you need to check for voltage at the ignition coil key on. You should have 12 volts if no voltage then we have a fuse issue or a wiring issue. Check for voltage on the purple wire at the key switch and at the kill switch.Post back with findings and we can weed out the issue.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked fuse box and found no fuse marked "fuel pump" There is a breaker at the fuel pump but I checked it and found that it had not tripped.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
You have to check for voltage at the breaker it can be bad and not tripped. You need to check for voltage on the red wire at the fuse and the orange or yellow red when cranking and key on. Once engi8ne is running you should have voltage on the green wire. If the alternator isn't getting 12 volts to turn it on the fuel pump won't run. Nothing to stop fuel flow only the fuel pump quitting will cause loss of fuel.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, I'll follow your advice but it won't be until tomorrow that I'll be able to do so. So, I'll let you go and I'll go to dinner myself. If you think of anything more please let me know either on this site which I'll leave open or by sending me an email at***@******.***.Thanks
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Ok that's fine.If you have no voltage to the ignition coil with key on get a jumper wire and run it from a 12 volt source to the positive side of the ignition coil does engine run now?