Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Chaparral sunsets 2002 with 5.7 mercruiser trim raises and

Customer Question

Chaparral sunsets 2002 with 5.7 mercruiser trim raises and lowers but the sticks in the up position
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: do I need to replace the trim gauge saltwater environment
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** are the trim sender is the problem not the gauge. We can test the trim sender but it requires the use of an ohm meter. Do you have an ohm meter to test the sender?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not by boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Ok what you need to do is go to the back of the gauge locate the s terminal with the brow wire. Disconnect the brown wire connect the red test lead of the ohm meter to the brown wire then connect the black test lead to the ground on the gauge. Now trim the drive up and down. What does the meter read? Post back whenever you get time to do the testing. Just post back here with findings.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Your welcome.