Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My 2002 Challenger Seadoo jet boat stalls at three-quarter

Customer Question

My 2002 Challenger Seadoo jet boat stalls at three-quarter throttle and then surges when you push past it
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Which engine is in the boat? When did this problem start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the 245 Mercury engine the fuel pump what's changed and that seems that when it started

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My name is John

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get the actual serial number on the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oe406182

240 m2

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,Got the serial. The engine has 3 fuel pumps on it. It has a low pressure mechanical lift pump, a low pressure electric fuel pump, and a high pressure electric fuel pump. Which one of the pumps was changed? Did you do the work yourself, or have somebody do it for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The boat mechanic changed all 3 and the filters

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You wrote that this started when the pumps were changed. Why were the pumps changed in the first place? What was the issue before then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The boat sat for a year with ethonol gas in it all lines were also replaced

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the engine is starving for fuel. I would start by running the engine off of a different fuel tank in order to rule in or out the possibility of a tank issue. Is that something you can do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The boat runs fine at wide open throttle but dies at 3/4

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Yes I understand that. A tank issue can cause that symptom. That is why the engine must be run off of a different fuel tank in order to rule the boats tank in or out.