Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

We have a 2007 250 hp Mercury Verado and the shifter control

Customer Question

We have a 2007 250 hp Mercury Verado and the shifter control box has went out. We ordered a new one, with the same part number as the old one and we're wondering if we can hook it up ourselves or does it have to be calibrated to work?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you. the control box does need to be adapted to the command module. This can be done by you if you have a system view for a gauge. Do you have the system view?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I don't guess we do
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
this is the systemview.http://www.boatmad.com/forum/f9/mercury-smartcraft-sc5000-systemview-for-sale-5328.htYou could try and plug in the new control box and give it a test while you had the engine running and the boat was on the trailer. Provided that you had water going to the engine. I do know that if in the shop and I install a new control box. I always run the handle adapation to make sure that the boat is safe when it leaves.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Since we had one ordered by the same part number, is there a chance it can be hooked up and work fine?
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
A chance yes. The bad part is that you will not know until you actually try it. That is why I recommended being on the trailer for the first bit. Nothing worse than an out of control boat on the water.