Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Lowe 175 w new primer bulb. it loses prime and sometimes it

Customer Question

lowe 175 w new primer bulb. it loses prime and sometimes it does not lose prime. causes engine to be fuel starved at times and stall. is there something in the mounted tank that could be failing. when this issue occurs the bulb is squeezed and it will not pick up the fuel for about 5 squeezes sometimes maybe more. have new fuel pump also
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no. it can sit for 2 minutes and have absolutely no fuel in the line or the bulb. sometimes when I prime I have to squeeze it ten times. it has a built in tank, the boat was not run for 5 years 04 lowe. I drained and put new fuel in it also.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** debris in the fuel tank clogging the screen on the end of the pick up tube or the anti siphon valve is sticking. Locate the fuel line connection on the fuel tank disconnect the fuel line unscrew the fitting the fuel line connected to. Punch out the check ball if there is one. If no check ball then you will need to unscrew the fitting that the antisiphon valve screwed into. On the end of the tube you will find a screen. Remove the screen and toss it you should have a fuel filter to catch any debris in the tank.Then one more possibility you have a clogged fuel tank vent. This can be checked by removing the fuel fill cap run the boat if the boat runs fine then you have a clogged fuel tank vent. These are all the things that can cause your issue.You can pump the tank but that doesn't always get the debris out of the tank. After you have gone through these checks [post back with findings and questions. Post back with questions.