Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

What are the tune up recommendations 2002 Yamaha 225

Customer Question

what are the tune up recommendations for a 2002 Yamaha 225 VMax two stroke engine?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hi Larry, my name is***** word "tune up" means different things to different people. Are you looking to service the engine? Are you having some sort of problem with it? What is the model number on the engine?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
seams to have lost some power and smokes excessively
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
How much power has it lost? What are the maximum rpms the engine can make under a load? Do you have the model number on the engine? Without it I can only talk about generalities, with it I can get into specifics.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
not sure of the rpm or the model number without going the boat shed its 3.1 liter
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Smoking is caused by incomplete fuel burn. That can be caused by low compression, or anything that causes a rich fuel condition. What I would start with first is a compression test to make sure the engine doesn't have a bad piston on it. After that, I would have a look at the low pressure fuel pumps. There are 3 low pressure fuel pumps on the engine. The pumps work off of crankcase pulses. Each pump has an internal rubber diaphragm. On one side of the diaphragm there is fuel, on the other side of the diaphragm is a connection straight into the engines crankcase. When the diaphragms tear what happens is fuel gets sucked directly into the engines crankcase. This does 2 things, 1 causes an extremely rich fuel condition. And 2, it causes a lack of fuel to the high pressure fuel pump at higher speeds, this causes the engine to starve for fuel at high speeds. If it's starving for fuel it will not make full power. Does that all make sense to you?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Did you have any other questions on the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hi Larry, just checking in. How are you making out?